Sacred Heart Medical Center
on M, T, Th, F
Ph: (509) 474-4744
Fax: (509) 474-4746
Spokane Teaching Health Clinic
Ph: (509) 626-9963
Three PGY-1 positions are offered each year. All positions are filled through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) and applications are accepted only through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The deadline for application and letters of reference is November 1st of the year prior to the starting year.
The program receives many more qualified applications than can be interviewed. Various factors affect the decision of whether to interview a candidate, such as clinical experience and interest in psychiatry, meaningful volunteer or work history in the field of mental health, or social service, medical school performance, USMLE/COMLEX scores, dean’s letters, WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) regional connection, and letters of recommendations, also clear and specific interest in psychiatry evident in multiple areas of ERAS application.
We do not have a fixed exam score cutoff, but we prefer applicants who have passed all taken exams on their first attempt. For reference, including residents beginning in the 2017-18 academic year, the average USMLE score for entering residents in our program is 229 for USMLE Step 1 and 635 for COMLEX Level 1.
Applicants who are very interested in pursuing residency with us are welcome to contact us.
Interviews are generally scheduled for a full day on Wednesdays, from early October through January. Interview days typically begin at 7:45 am and end by 2:30 pm. An interview day offers the applicant the opportunity to meet with several faculty and residents and to visit various clinical sites.
- Our training program requires the following application materials:
- ERAS Common Application Form (MyERAS Application)
- A personal statement which includes your reasons for choosing psychiatry as a specialty.
- Curriculum Vitae
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation from faculty or professional staff at your medical school or hospitals where you have worked, including at least one letter from a psychiatrist.
- Official medical or osteopathic school transcript
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE or Dean’s Letter)
- USMLE or COMLEX scores (see above)
Applicants should have graduated from medical school within the last 5 years.
The NRMP requires that residency programs provide applicants with the agreement that they would need to sign upon matching with the program. Please click to view the GMEC Resident Appointment Contract.
International medical graduates should contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for their application materials and eligibility requirements. Paper applications will not be accepted.
- We accept ERAS applications from International Medical Graduates if you have the following:
- Documentation of valid ECFMG certification
- Documentation of successful completion of an eight-week clinical rotation comparable to a U.S. or Canadian medical student rotation that is beyond a research or observer/volunteer level. This can include a clinical clerkship or sub-internship. Applicants who have completed this at an ACGME accredited U.S. medical education program or Canadian medical school are more competitive.
- Letters from medical supervisors from the U.S.
- We do not accept any applicant who would need to have a VISA sponsored.
- Applicants should have graduated from medical school within the last 5 years.